by Nick Pfaff
Turkey Curry with Butternut Squash - serves 4
1 butternut squash pureed
½ tbsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
½ tsp. ground cloves
1 tbsp. peanut oil, or vegetable oil
3 yellow potatoes (Yukon gold)
2 cups carrots, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp. yellow curry powder
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk
2 cups pre-cooked turkey meat
Chopped mint for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Remove stem from squash and cut squash in half. Remove seeds, sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Place in the oven and roast for an hour or until tender enough to puree. Scoop out meat of the squash and place in food processor. Puree using the coconut milk.
2. While squash is cooking cut potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic.
3. Place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Place on medium high heat and cook until potatoes are ¾ of the way done. Drain, place on a plate, and allow to cool in the refrigerator.
4. Heat oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. Add carrots and onions. Saute for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and saute for an additional minute. Sprinkle curry powder over vegetables, and add chicken stock. Stir to blend curry powder. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low. Add potatoes, pureed squash, and turkey to pan. Allow to simmer until all vegetables are fully cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve hot over rice with chopped fresh mint for garnish.
Nick Pfaff is a proud native of Oregon. He enjoys cooking, eating, and drinking all the wonderful things the Northwest has to offer.
Book Signing Saturday June 15th, 3-6 pm 13th Street Nursery 1298 13th St. SE Salem, OR 503-363-4670 Meet photographer Lori Eanes, ...
by Nate Rafn Living in Oregon, we know that fresh berries act as seasonal indicators. Their availability and level of ripeness tell us ...
by Nate Rafn This year's César Chávez Commemoration Service Day, sponsored by the Northwest Treeplanters and Farmworkers United (PCU...
by Nate Rafn Goats are fascinating animals. They have a varied diet, which includes plants that other livestock refuse to eat. Goats wi...
Noah Grobart and Ben Stern specialize in local meats at Pastaworks. by Nate Rafn The Pastaworks butcher shop on Hawthorne Boulevard i...
Paste the following code into your website to display the logo with a link back to www.livingcultureonline.com. Feel free to adjust the heig...
by Nate Rafn I often hear from people who are looking for a reliable source of high quality, local pork. Oregon is home to dozens of pigs...